Yasu 2.8.2 has been released for OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion compatibility and fixes some lingering issues on Snow Leopard and Lion.
Here’s the list of fixes:
- OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion compatibility. [v2.8.0]
- Add paths for Apple sandboxed app container cache files. [v2.8.0]
- Prevent unexpected system reboot on blank password error. [v2.8.0]
- Fix nag screen progress bar to redraw properly if displayed more than once in a launch. [v2.8.0]
- Update copyright year in Info.plist. [v2.8.0]
- Rebuilt as a Universal binary for PPC users. [v2.8.1]
- Fixed an issue where main window would not open for some Lion & Mountain Lion Users. [v2.8.1]
- Fix bug clearing font caches on 10.4 and earlier systems introduced in 2.8.0 release. [v2.8.2]
However… Due to the fact that Yasu had to be compiled on an older system, I was not able to use a developer profile which will let the app natively run on Mountain Lion without Gatekeeper complaining about it. But there is a way around it.
- In the Applications folder, find Yasu and click on it while holding down the control key. In the contextual menu, select “Open”…
- In the dialog that appears, click the “Open” button and Yasu will open without any further Gatekeeper warnings…
I know this is a hassle, it’s unpolished, and I apologize for it.
Here’s the story… The code base for Yasu is really old, having started the project back at Mac OS X 10.2. When I tried to convert it to a newer version of Xcode, a lot of things broke — so many that I would have had to start over and have nothing to show for Mountain Lion at all. So in order to have something, I had to build Yasu with an older version of Xcode under Snow Leopard. This older version doesn’t allow for signing with a Developer ID so Gatekeeper under 10.8 will allow it to run unfettered.
Yeah, that’s what I said when I figured it out.
But the golden lining in this is it gives me reason to start fresh and add some of the features I’ve wanted to include for a long time. The 2.x branch of Yasu will not get any further work, unless there’s some show-stopping bug that pops up. The next release of Yasu will be 3.0, and will only run on OS X 10.7 and later.
Thanks for reading, and thanks for your continued support.